FISH AMBUL THIYAL RECIPE - A SRI LANKAN SPECIAL
THE SECRET OF FISH AMBUL THIYAL
Fish Ambul Thiyal is a common dish served in homes and authentic Sri Lankan cuisine-based restaurants across the globe. The dish has a sour taste with enriched flavours and aroma when cooked with a mix of spices. Shop for all the necessary ingredients to enjoy this South Asian delicacy today with Kugans Online Supermarket.
The most important ingredients for this Sri Lankan seafood dish are Gorakka, tamarind and various spices that make the coating on the fish. Following that, the fish is covered in a banana leaf and slow cooked at medium heat for approximately an hour.
FISH AMBUL THIYAL - RECIPE
Prep time - 30 minutes
Cook time - 1 hour
Servings - 4
4 pieces Gorakka
Sufficient Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
2 tbsp Black Pepper Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt as needed
500 gms Kingfish (Spanish Mackerel)
1 sprig Curry Leaves
1 pc Green Chilli Pepper
3 pc Cardamom
1 pc Ginger (sliced)
2 inches Pandan Leaves
3 Garlic cloves (sliced)
1/2 tsp Fenugreek
1/4 cup Water
- Soak the gorakka in hot water for 10-15 mins (or soak it overnight)
- Along with the gorakka, add olive oil, chilli powder, black pepper powder and turmeric powder and grind well to make a thick paste.
- Clean the fish with salt and turmeric powder. Once ready, mix it with the gorakka paste and coat both the sides of the fish, until it sets.
- Take a banana leaf, cut it into square shapes and place them inside the cooking bowl and leave it to slow cook at medium heat.
- Add the sprig of curry leaves, green chilli, cardamons, ginger, garlic, pandan, fenugreek and water over the fish.
- Mix slightly and add the solution to the boiling pot. Pour the rest of the water and the paste.
- Spread the fish, cover it with the banana leaf and cook at low heat for about an hour or until you see that the fish is dry and without any water.
- Serve hot with rice, rotis, bread and naan.
Kugans Online Supermarket is your go-to, one-stop-smart-shop for all Indian and South Asian groceries and essentials under one virtual roof. Try this delicious Fish Ambul Thiyal recipe at home today. Shop for ingredients with us and enjoy a total of 25% OFF on your total bill for orders above £30 with nationwide delivery within the UK.