GANESH CHATHURTHI MODAK TYPES & BASIC INGREDIENT & COOKING GUIDE FROM KUGANS!
TRADITIONAL UKADICHE MODAK
Ingredients1 tsp Ghee
2 cup Coconut
1 cup Jaggery
½ tsp Cardamom powder
2 cup Water
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Ghee
2 cup Rice flour
- Heat ghee in a pan add coconut, saute for few mins then add jaggery powder to it.
- Mix well and cook for 3 mins until the moisture leaves, then add cashews, cardamom powder mixes well and switch off.
- To a sauce pan add water, milk and ghee. Let it boil, then add flour to it.
- Mix well and cook until all rice flour is mixed with water. Switch off and remove pan from stove.
- Set aside for few mins. When it’s warm to handle knead the dough. Pinch a small lemon sized portion roll into a ball.
- Flatten it and make it like a cup. Pinch the edges as shown. Add the preparing stuffing inside.
- Gather the edges and bring it to center like the shape of a modak.
- Repeat to finish dough.
- Prepare the steamer and steam cook for 10 mins.
- When the Modak turn shiny then it shows they are done.
- Switch off and let it rest for a while.
1 cup Semolina (rava)
1/4 cup Melted ghee
1/3 cup Milk
2/3 cup Desiccated coconut
2/3 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Water
1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
Few pistachios, for decoration
Ghee, for greasing
1. Dry roast coconut for 2mins until moisture leaves. Then add sugar.
2. Cook until the mixture becomes thick. If the syrup is watery it may take a while. Cook in low flame, add cardamom powder, mix well and switch off. Set aside.
3. Dry roast rava for 3mins without changing the color, Set aside to cool. Boil water add oil and salt.
4. Let it boil rigorously, add roasted rava and keep stirring continuously so that there are no lumps forming.
5. Cook in low flame until it becomes soft. Cook covered for 2mins.
6. Once it comes together, switch off and let it rest for a while. When it is still warm, add ghee.
7. Knead it well. Now the outer covering and inner stuffing is ready. Take your mould, grease it with oil, grease your hands too.
8. Now close the mould and take a dough shape it as a ball and stuff it from the bottom side. Nicely press it along the sides in the inner part, leaving a center hole for the stuffing.
9. Add the stuffing. Then seal it with little dough at the bottom. Open the mould and carefully remove it.
10. Likewise shape all the kozhukatais with stuffing. If you do not have mould, you can shape it like this
11. Take a small lemon sized ball flatten it using your palms, press it in the center to make a cup shape, place the stuffing in the center.
12. Pull all the edges and bring to the center to form modak shape
13. Enjoy Rava Modak!
Kugans is your go-to one-stop-smart-shop for all Indian, Sri Lankan, and South Asian groceries under one digital roof. Stay safe, stay indoors, we will deliver to your doorstep. Keep an eye on the Kugans Blog for more new, informative and exciting blogs.
Leave a comment below your opinion.