SEAFOOD WITH A SOUTH ASIAN SURPRISE - JAFFNA CRAB CURRY
Crab is a type of seafood we’ve enjoyed most of our lives, even from childhood. While there are several types of different seafood you’ve probably tried, we’re willing to bet crab meat is one of your favourites! And if it is, then this blog will teach you what you need to know to make a delicious Sri Lankan Jaffna style Crab Curry. All it takes is a few simple ingredients like spices, masalas, vegetables, oil and more. Just scroll below for the full list of ingredients.
If you are looking for something daring and delicious, try making this Sri Lankan style Jaffna Crab curry at home. We can assure you it’ll be a surprise.
JAFFNA CRAB CURRY RECIPE
This authentic South Asian delicacy goes hand in hand with rice, parotta, roti and various other dishes. Try this recipe during lunch or dinner time and give your family, friends or guests a reason to drool at the dining table.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
- 4 par-cooked crabs - cleaned, quartered and shells cracked
- 4 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 20 fresh curry leaves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 4 - 8 chopped green chillies
- 3 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- A pinch of turmeric
- 3 tbsp toasted desiccated coconut
- 3 diced tomatoes (optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 800ml thick coconut milk
- 200ml water
- Juice of two limes
- 4 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander - stocks and all
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large wok or pan over medium-high heat.
- Toss in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds begin to pop and the oil becomes fragrant, add the chopped onions, chillies and ginger.
- Allow to sizzle for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent and soft. Then add the garam masala, coriander powder and turmeric.
- Stir this all up and add the tomatoes, chopped garlic and toasted coconut.
- Make sure the onions are nicely coated with the spices and then add the coconut milk, water and crabs.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the sauce is reduced by half. Be sure to stir regularly.
- Just before serving, squeeze the lime juice into the sauce and sprinkle in the chopped coriander.
- Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice, roti, parotta or bread and other curries and vegetables for a filling meal.
Kugans is your go-to one-stop-smart-shop to for all Indian and South Asian groceries under one digital roof. Stay safe, stay indoors, we will deliver to your doorstep. Keep an eye on the Kugans Blog for more new, informative and exciting blogs.